Friday, November 9, 2012

An author's dilemma

Dear Character,

I don't know why I let you go, you loved me for all I care about. I moved on to what I perceived was better, when in fact, I only moved closer to realizing the thing I feared and dreaded the most. How disappointing. How terrible, how heartless, what regret. But wait, I wouldn't call it regret. I foretold a sad ending and since it was a fairytale the good had to happen somewhere. I wonder what it would be if that thing I feared and dreaded the most did not happen and I had not let you go? Indeed the story would be so different, but we were also too young to be certain of things not even adults are certain about. How can we know better. We needed to learn and needed that time apart for growth. Even if you were my world once upon a time, that seemed the more appropriate thing. I'm sorry I made you go through hard times. If only you could walk out of these pages. I kind of wish you were here.  I kind of wish I could laugh about these things with you, because... you would know.

Sincerely,

Writer

No comments:

Post a Comment